Thursday 5 April 2012

How to use photo masks in Paint Shop Pro

This Tutorial will cover what you need to know about using masks in your Digital Scrapbooking Pages

For this tutorial I'll be using Coral Paint Shop Pro X, and should cover different versions of that program. (If it doesn't please get in touch and I'll update this tutorial).

What you'll need.

First you'll need a mask, for this tutorial I'm going to use some that you download for free over at Pixel Scrapper.
http://www.pixelscrapper.com/marisa-lerin/templates/photo-mask-19-image-commercial-use-digital-scrapbooking-free-download



A Photo to use the mask with. I'm using this one of the Tree of Life (Credits to Mark Barbieri, he has posted a bunch of pictures over at Mousescrappers for people to scrap with.)

Extras: If you're making a Digital Scrapbooking page you may want to use a Digital Scrapbooking Kit to go with it. I'm going to be a little lazy and just use a Pre-Made Paper stack for this Tutorial.

This was made by Linda over at MJ-AJ Designs using a Kellybell Designs Kit called "Around the Riverbend".

I'll also use some Pre-made Word Art from the same KellyBell Kit, this time it was made by
Jessica over at Handbags & Scrapbooks.

Once you've got all that open up all 4 files in Paint Shop Pro.



Copy and paste your photo as a new layer onto your paper stack. (Feel Free to resize your photo if needed.).



 Next up make sure your Photo layer is selected (silly me in the picture below had selected the wrong one).
Then go to Layers > New Mask Layer > From Image.


You'll then get a box pop up like the one Below.

In the Source Window, you'll find a drop down list of all your currently open files. Pick your Mask file in this list. 
Then in the Create mask from, choose Source opacity. Then ok.




You can see a little bit of the mask in the above picture, but it needs a little resizing. Have a play changing the scale of the mask layer and photo layer and the positions of both on the page until you get something you're happy with.


There. As you can see I've added my Word art layer on top of my work. I think I would like to change the position of my Photo just a tad.

As seen above select the Group layer of and right click. Chose Merge and then Merge Group. You can now reposition it on your page.


When your happy with that, you're all done. Make sure to use "Save As" with your file and change your file name so you don't save over your paper stack file.

You can find links to all of my tutorials by clicking on the buttons over in my side bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment